Tuesday, December 18, 2007

2 More Days and the Fun Begins!

Angie and Jeremy and the kids arrive in just 2 more days. Andrew and Crystal and their kids will come on Friday after work and spend the night too. I can't wait! This time together always wears me out but it is soooo worth it! Little boys playing ninja warrior with the swords, giggling little girls in the tub full of bubbles, laughter coming from upstairs where a wild game of cards is going on, snacks by the ton, all of us gathered around the table for meals. There is nothing like it.

God has blessed me with a week of calm before the excitement begins. It has given me a lot of time to think about Christmas. Not just the incredible time we will have with family, but of the Christ who came. I can't think of another living being that is celebrated and yet forgotten more than Christ. It is sad really. We celebrate his birth. The miraculous virgin birth of God made flesh. We spend weeks planning for this one special time. Food, family, friends, gifts, programs, parties. But how much time do we spend preparing our heart for Christmas? In the hustle and bustle of the season we forget about the baby. Makes me think of the saying "throwing the baby out with the bath water". But that is what we tend to do.

I encourage you to meditate on the gift of life that was given to all of us. Jesus Christ came to earth to be born a man and yet God. He lived a sinless life with no regrets. In the prime of His life, was crucified and paid the final penalty for our sins. All of them. For everyone. Because He loves us. He rose from the dead and has made a place for us those who give their lives to Him in heaven.

When the family leaves I want to remember my time with the Lord. My meditations on Him. When the gifts are all put away this is one gift I want to remember after Christmas. Enjoy the time with family, but remember Jesus in the midst of it. It will change your Christmas.

No comments: