Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Getting Ready

Well, the bags are coming our of storage today and we will begin packing for our mission trip to Beirut Lebanon. Our group will get together tomorrow night to pack the supplies for camp. Then Mark and I will begin packing our personal things. It has been nearly 15 years since we have been away from home for this long. What to pack, what to leave, will I need it, can we get it in Beirut? So many decisions.

The nerves are starting to take hold and between my fears and the pure excitement I don't know what to think. I feel really bad about leaving Andrea especially for Easter Sunday. The kids and Mark's parents will not have an Easter Dinner. Family traditions are very near to my heart and it will seem very odd to miss this opportunity to gather as a family.

I know that Andrea is 20 years old and she is very capable of caring for herself. She is after all, an adult. Andrew and Crystal are near by as well as all of our church family. But it is just that Mother thing. Lanning will have his first birthday, Angie is expecting....I guess I need to spend time praying and leaving them in God's hands.

This experience is a bit like jumping off the high dive for me. Something I have wanted to do for 20+ years. Desired it from afar. I have climbed the ladder and backed back down several times. But this time I am going to jump. This time I know that the Holy Spirit is encouraging me. This time I am going to be obedient.

Please pray for Mark and I as well as Tom, Bethany, Andy, Amie, Chuck, Elaine and Byron. God's sovereignty is still in control. He has orchestrated this trip and already knows the outcome. Pray also for the children at the camp. If just for four days they get a glimpse of God's love it will be worth it all.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Don't worry, Mom! We'll be fine. Just go and have a great time!

Jennifer Warriner said...

Mrs. McKay,
I wanted you to know that I think what you and your husband are doing is AMAZING!! Even though we are many miles away, you are being prayed for! I pray that you have the time of your life and that God will keep you all safe! God is in control and we will be praying for you!