Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Don't Waste God's Calling

Tracy, my friend Martha’s sister in law, has left a deep impression on my life, though I never met her. She died in her own bed after returning from her first mission trip. She went to the Congo in Africa. At the age of 50 she finally took the plunge and let go of her fear and trusted God. ( Go to the website "Tracy's Heart Congo.org" for this great story of one woman's step of faith and the lasting impact on the women of the Congo). It made me stop and realize that I had been letting fear keep me from doing something God has asked me to do many times. My heart broke to realize that I had wasted nearly 30 years of my life in fear of what others would think. I was afraid of really selling out to Christ because my family might think I am weird. I knew God was not pleased with this but I pushed it to the back of mind and ignored the impulses of the Holy Spirit to step out in faith and do what God had called me to do.

But this Sunday morning we will leave for Beirut. This trip contains any "firsts" for me. First time to jump off the high dive and completely trust God with the out come. First time to travel out of the country. First Mission trip. It all reminds me a bit of my dependence on the Lord after Stan's death. Just me and God. Life goes on but my mind is on Him. Leaning on Him for everything. Knowing I can't do it by myself and no other human can fulfill the desire of my heart. What a precious time with Him! How overwhelming to realize that He has chosen me and given me this opportunity to serve Him. There are many others more fitting, more equipped. But He wants me to go. And so I will.

Read “Don’t Waste Your Life” by John Piper. Then take a hard look at your commitment to the Lord and what you do for His glory. Take His hand and become the person God has called you to me. Walk worthy. Make a difference for the sake of the Lord.

No comments: